Sunday, December 10, 2006

German Star and Apron Pattern

The photo below is for Craftydabbler who asked what pattern I used for Heather's apron.

The star ornament at left is a version of the German Star folded ornament that I originally saw on Carol Duval's craft show on HGTV many years ago. I made lots of these stars for a couple of years; gave them as gifts and decorated just about everything with them in my house for the holidays.

As many crafters know, we get side tracked and go on to other ideas and I am no exception. When I was putting together Heather's package I pulled out my stars and put one in her box. Spread the joy of stars kinda thing. So when Heidi asked me for the instructions on how to make these, I found a great tutorial on the internet. To make sure the pattern was correct I made one from a piece of scrapbook paper that I had. Here is the result after a bit of time and some frustration. I do have some suggestions if you want to make some of these.

1. You can see what happens when you use one-sided paper. If you want them to look uniform, use double sided paper or plain like the instructions suggest. I think this is a bummer because I love all the beautifully patterned paper out there, but oh well.

2. The pattern calls for strips of paper 5/8" wide by 20" long. Actually, the tutorial has the measurements in cm but the above is very close. So, unless you want to paste paper together, you will have to find 20" paper. I pasted the above paper together with double sided tape. The 5/8" strip should be cut VERY precisely so do your measuring carefully or have a copy center do this for you. They may even have the 20" paper in at least white. The better the cut, the easier it will be to do one of these.

3. The directions can be a bit tricky but after a few mistakes, I caught on. After you have completed one you will want to do more...I think children maybe 8 and above could do these with supervision and maybe even younger if they are particularly agile with their fingers. Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

At 5:55 AM, Blogger Deborah said...

You sewing people are so clever! One day, one day....

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger craftydabbler said...

Thank you! I will have to keep a look out for that book.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home